Here some basic guidelines for flexibility exercises:
- You can stretch everyday. At a minimum you should do flexibility exercises at least 3 days each week.
- Stretching when your body is warm is more effective so a good time is after your cardio or resistance workouts.
- Hold each stretch for at least 10 seconds and progress to a 30 second hold.
- Do each stretch 3 to 5 times each session.
- Stretching should not be painful. Ease into each stretch until you feel tension in the muscle but not pain. If you have pain in your joints while stretching change your technique and if that does not stop the pain then do not do that stretch.
Click on the links below for details of a few flexibility routines.